Monday, May 7, 2012

A Destiny of Rest


I used to think that the Christian life was about walking a tiny tight rope, which was the plan God had for my life. Any misstep and I’d plummet to unthinkable depths, possibly throwing off God’s plan for my whole life! This created a frantic, ‘walking on eggshells’ feeling for me about the future.

Remembering the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control, we see that there is no toiling or striving in Him. I believe that toiling and striving in life came as a result of the curse of sin.

“What am I supposed to do with my life? What if I choose something that isn’t in God’s will?”

Sometimes we let these questions and unknowns lead us to a place of stress, anxiety, and fear that paralyze us, and we beg God to show us where to go next in life so that we can stop waiting and make a move.

But God is always speaking! He has given us desires and passions to drive us to our destinies. He has given us free will because he trusts us! God isn’t a red light that turns green when we’ve toiled and strived hard enough; He’s a green light that’s cheering us on to explore our destiny and follow our dreams! Through the cross the curse of sin is broken and we can experience heaven on earth!

When we understand how deep God’s goodness and love is, the fear begins to leave. Instead of walking in fear, we can walk in grace. And no matter what happens through this process we can hold on to the higher reality that the Spirit that lives inside of us offers unrelenting peace and rest. 

Jaci Terjeson

1 comment: